Recipe: Morning Blend + Smoothie Bowl
This simple smoothie makes for the perfect breaky or snack on the go. Rich in good fats and nutrients it helps to jump-start your metabolism and give you the fuel to begin your morning. If I know I won't have access to healthy options later in the day, I love knowing I've had a solid intake of vitamins/minerals in this smoothie. This is my most basic smoothie recipe and from it I add in different superfoods depending on what I feel my body and mind need each day.
Blend all ingredients in a Vitamix on high speed until smooth.
- Organic Almond or Coconut Milk
Organic Spinach/Baby Kale or Wheatgrass Spinach and Kale are high in iron and fibre and many essential vitamins. Wheatgrass is high in Chlorophyll, great for your skin
- Spirulina blue green algae, 1 tbl spoon detoxes heavy metals, rich in vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, E, K, anti-oxidants and high in protein
- Banana high in fibre and antioxidants *and/or avocado for an extra creamy texture
- Berries blueberries/blackberries/raspberries, rich in antioxidants
- Protein powder of choice I like SunWarrior plant based protein powder
GOOD FATS (I try to do at least 1 source of good fats from this list)
- Coconut Oil High in fatty acids proven to increase metabolism/anti-inflammatory) or organic Almond Butter or Peanut Butter - good protein sources
- Hemp seeds, 1 tbl spoon. Has Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, which promote cardiovascular health.
- Avocado heart-healthy monounsaturated fatty acids, great for skin
Superfood Add On's
*This is where you take your smoothie from 0 to 100*
- Sun Potion He Shou Wu. Nourishing for hair, skin, nervous system, sexual center, Shen (Spirit), and Jing (primary essence/life force)
- Moon Juice adaptogen dusts (there are different ones for spirit, brain, power, beauty, and sex).
- Adaptogens are unique plants or herbs that support your adrenal system. They help balance your hormones, so you can manage your stress response on a day to day basis. They adapt to what your body needs and have the ability to regulate your system up or down depending on the need in the moment.
- Ashwagandha is another superherb adaptogen that helps your body combat the effects of stress. I like to take ashwagandha in a tincture (it can be found in most health stores) and add it to my smoothie if I'm feeling particularly overwhelmed, anxious, or stressed.
- Tocos (Rice Bran Solubles) is a bio-available source of Vitamin E. This superfood comes in a powder form and creates a delicious creamy texture.
*Add a teaspoon or tablespoon of Raw Cacao Powder or cacao nibs for a more chocolatey taste! (rich in anti-oxidants)
*Take it one step further and make a smoothie bowl by adding toppings of your choosing. I love hemp seeds, dried coconut, fruit, or granola.
If any of these ingredients are new to you I recommend introducing them slowly to your diet and experimenting with how they make your body feel. That way you can notice what they do (or maybe don't do) for you. Once you have tried them separately you will have the knowledge of which superfoods to turn to for nourishment in order to support whatever your body or mind might be in need of.